GAIM??

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Sep 20 14:59:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 07:16:53PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 01:42:05AM +0000, Duane Hill wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 at 18:33 -0700, kline at tao.thought.org confabulated:
> >
> > >	Folks,
> > >
> > >	On my ubuntu srver I've used gaim for quite awhile.   When I
> > >	looked for it with locate on my new server the file said it was
> > >	going away by fall.  Is there ea new, improved port?
> >
> > It has been replaced by Pidgin:
> >
> >   /usr/ports/net-im/pidgin
> >
> > See:
> >
> >   http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/
> >

> 	thanks to all you gents... i was going to ask why the name change but
> 	it'll probly be with the src, luke.  (.5-hearted ha ha)

There's been some contention between AOL and the Gaim project for a long
time.  Initially, it was typically spelled GAIM (all caps), but that was
too close to AIM for AOL's taste, so they only capitalized the first
letter -- making it Gaim.  Apparently, that wasn't good enough, either.
Now it's Pidgin instead.

I guess the only downside to the new name is that I can't make "I've got
Gaim(game)!" jokes about it now.  Well, I could, but they wouldn't make
much sense.

Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could
actually spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game."