Hard drive RPM

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu Sep 20 00:22:07 PDT 2007

> not a case of misrepresentations that I have found on network
> attached hard disk storage devices and Firewire drives.
> I have one that was expressly advertised on the package to be
> 120 Gb capacity, and in fact only 111Gb are available for storage.

common marketlie: telling capacity not in gigabytes (2^30) but in billions
of bytes. in computers giga always meant 2^30 (like mega 2^20 and kilo
2^10) but they found just another place to lie.

on all (most) drive there are numbers of sectors written on label.
one sector is half a REAL kilobyte, divide it by 2^21 to get gigabyte
count.