mixer levels on boot

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Sep 18 14:37:19 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 23:18:23 Harry Doyle wrote:

> when i issue /etc/rc.d/mixer stop then reboot, the mixer shows set to 7:7,
> but then  it still clips like it does on 90. then i set mixer to 7 and it
> says setting mixer fro 90 to  7.
>
> i am thinking that /etc/rc.d/mixer gets invoked before kldload loads the
> driver because both dmesg and mixer tell me there is no mixer device till
> the machine is up for around 2 minutes.

That makes sense. Rob has given the answer earlier. You need to load the
driver in /boot/loader.conf.

> maybe i will try the hda enable in
> rc.conf

No, /boot/loader.conf. But is your card a hda? It would help a lot if you post
the output of "pciconf -lv" relevant for the soundcard and/or show us what
exactly you are doing in /usr/local/etc/rc.d with that driver.

For example, this is mine:
pcm0 at pci0:31:5: class=0x040100 card=0x016a1028 chip=0x24c58086 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = audio

Driver loaded by:
# grep ich /boot/loader.conf
snd_ich_load="YES"

> , but it doesn't seem ac97 on unix is as well supported as the
> windows drivers so i need the particular driver i downloaded (i might be
> wrong).

Ac97 is a codec used on a multitude of soundcards to produce pcm audio AFAIK,
so there's no specific driver for it.
--
Mel