BTX panic and crash when USB disk is present (6.2-RELEASE)

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:01:58 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm running
> FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 11:05:30 UTC 2007
> root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP

I just purchased a nice outboard USB 2.0 drive and, well, I'd like to
leave that drive plugged in while I reboot my machine. However, when I
do so, BTX panics and spews all over the place:
(I have to type this in, as I can't get a good screendump except by
photographing the video screen with my cellphone camera):

> BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
> Consoles; internal video/keyboard
> BIOS drive C: is disk0
> BIOS drive D: is disk1
>
> int=0000000d   err=00000000  rgl=00030002 eip=0000461e
> ...more lines
> BTX halted

I see this PR:
but I'm not quite sure if it's the same issue or not.

Any ideas, other than rushing to unplug the device if the machine reboots?

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman    jbaltz at gmail.com  www.jbaltz.com
foo mane padme hum