php failing

orders at fixer.com orders at fixer.com
Tue Sep 18 13:13:59 PDT 2007

uname -a
localhost 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE#0:  Thu Aug 30
13:20:27 UTC 2007  root@:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/VIL i386

I have been using apache, PHP and mysql for years with no problems.  I
just suffered a computer crash and my backup failed, so I had to
reinstall.  However, now I have a problem.  I tried "pkg_add -r php5"
and the latest PHP5 from www.php.net(www.php.net used to work, but that
was before php5 existed). If I access phpinfo() with my browser, it
fails. When I try to run a PHP script, I get the error:

 >cgi error:
 > The following CGI application misbehaved by not
 > returning a complete set of HTTP headers.
 > The headers it did not return are:
 >
 >  This error message means PHP failed to output anything at all.  To
 >  get to a sensible error message,  change to the PHP executable directory
 >  and run PHP -i.  If php has any problems running, then a suitgable error
 >  message will be displayed which will give a clue as to what needs to be
 >  done next.  If you get a screen full of HTML codes, then PHP is working.
 >
 >  Once PHP is working on the command line, try accessing the script once
 >  again.  If it still fails then it could be one of the following:
 >
 >   *The file permissions on your script, php.ini, or any extensions
you are
 >    trying to load are such that the anonymous internet user
 >    ISUR_<machinename> cannot access them.
 >   *The script file does not exit (or possible isn't where you think
 >    it is relative to your web root directory).  If the script does not
 >    exit then the server will return a 404 error instead.

I didn't get the 404 error, so I think my script exits.  When I typed
PHP -i,
I received 4 pages of HTML code.  This means PHP works.  I tried
phpinfo() from
my browser and still nothing.  I have been fighting this for 3 weeks and
reinstalled many times.  I tried this on FreeBSD-5.4, 6.1 and 6.2.  All
three
operating systems produce the same result.

I found out that apache runs in a jail and uses chroot.  I added the
directory
it says and still nothing.

This is where I get stuck.  Thanks in advance for any help.

bruce