mixer levels on boot

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Sep 18 07:47:43 PDT 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 22:21:54 Rob wrote:
> Harry Doyle wrote:
> > however whenever i reboot the machine the mixer command always shows the
> > default level of 90 which clips pretty hard.
>
> My 6.2 system saves and restores the mixer settings across boots.
> Apparently in the file /var/db/mixer0-state   However, the file is root
> owned and 644;  perhaps if you create the  file and chmod it writable, your
> settings will stick?

Nope. These are saved by /etc/rc.d/mixer. Adjust the mixer under root account
to your desired values and call `/etc/rc.d/mixer stop'. This will save the
state. Reboot to test.

If this doesn't work, then somehow, the mixer is set to different values
during shutdown and before /etc/rc.d/mixer is called and that's tricky to
find out -but a desktop mixer like kmix can be the cause of that if you're
running a desktop environment via xdm/kdm/gdm.
--
Mel