Unable to delete a package

lawrence.petrykanyn at sympatico.ca lawrence.petrykanyn at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 17 18:52:52 PDT 2007

Hi, Peter:

> > ===>  Installing for libgda3-1.9.102_3
> > ===>  libgda3-1.9.102_3 conflicts with installed package(s):
> >      libgda2-1.2.4_1,1
> >      They install files into the same place.
> >      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
>
>As people have noted you can use -f to force deletion. The problem you
>are experiencing would typically happen either because you are trying
>to install some top-level packages that are truly in conflict, in the
>sense that they depend on conflicting versions of libgda.
>
>Alternatively, you have older versions of various packages installed
>that depend on the older version of libgda3, and are now trying to
>install the gnome stuff from a newer ports tree. In this case you may
>want to perform a full upgrade (using
>portupgrade/portmanagaer/portmaster/etc).

I'm using the command 'portsnap fetch update' each time before I do a 'make
install clean' hoping that will cover me. I used portupgrade with 5.4 but
switched to portsnap with 6.2 because I believed from the Handbook that it
was a 'new and improved' way of maintaining my ports tree. Is this correct?
Does portsnap do a better job than portupgrade or portsmanager?  Do they all
do the same thing (...in real life as well as on paper...)?  Does portsnap
automatically upgrade my programs or just the ports tree?  And if I am using
portsnap, can I use portupgrade or portsmanager as well, or will they cause
a conflict?

>forcibly deleting the package will work, but the other packages
>depending on them will very likely break.

I was concerned that something like that might happen but wasn't sure.
Thanks!

> > (As an aside, is it okay to run these installations from a terminal
>window
> > from inside the Gnome GUI environment, or should I be outside of Gnome
> > altogether when I do program installations/upgrades?)
>
>It doesn't matter, except in so far as any actions would kill your
>running terminal. I would suspect that the already running terminal
>would survive (certainly this is the case with most), though I don't
>know if the gnome terminal is doing stuff even after initial start-up
>that might cause it to die.
>
>(To be strict of course it's always safest to not run stuff you are
>actively upgrading, while upgrading. In practice though it "tends to
>work".)

I prefer to do upgrades and installations from outside the GUI.  But I've
added 'gdm_enable=Yes' to my rc.conf file so that the graphical login screen
appears for most daily use.  In order to get to the pre-GUI terminal as
root, I have to log in as root into the GUI, comment out 'gdm_enable=Yes' in
my rc.conf file, then reboot the machine so that I can run portsnap (or
whatever) in the pre-GUI terminal.  Then after running portupgrade, I have
to re-edit my rc.conf in order to re-enable gdm and reboot again.  Is there
an easier way to get the pre-GUI terminal without having to reboot after
commenting out 'gdm_enable=Yes' in my rc.conf file and then re-inserting it
after I do an upgrade?  I've tried Alt-Ctl-Backspace, and that does kill
Gnome, but then it just bounces me back into the graphical login screen.

Much appreciated,
Larry