is there any way of turning muttrc list into an evolution or other mail alias database?

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 17 14:24:37 PDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 12:35:51PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 06:46:20PM +0400, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 09:27:03PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > This may be a bit off the wall, but does anybody have a tool to
> > > take my dozens of mutt  aliases and turn them into an evolution
> > > -style database format?  (if not, is there any universal
> > > "address-book" app that I could use?)
> >
> > A sed one-liner could probably solve the problem, but try
> > mail/abook - it's a nice converter.
>
> Can you help me with the exact syntax?  As a test, I tried:
>  abook --convert --informat mutt  --infile
>  /home/kline/.mutt/muttrc --outformat abook --outfile abook

I think you should put your aliases in a separate file and use
that as an infile.

> An emtpy file ~/.abook/addressbook.new was created.  ((I still
> stand by what I'd said for years, that a few examples are worth
> 10K words.))
>
> Re a sed line to get this stuff into ~/.evolution/*, maybe.
> This may be where another very simple perl script would serve
> btter.  Further clues very welcome.

Google says something about evo being able to import ldif files.
Abook can convert mutt's aliases into ldif.

P.S. Must you really insert a tab before each line in your
messages? It certainly doesn't make them look pretty.