Clarification on updating FreeBSD through csup

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Mon Sep 17 10:25:41 PDT 2007

Hi there!

Just seeking a clarification on keeping FreeBSD up-to-date through csup. I
am on FreeBSD 6.2 and want to keep up-to-date for security patches
etc.

I understand I can use csup to follow the RELENG_62 branch. After the
sources are downloaded, do I have to follow all the steps outlined in this
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html)
handbook document? I can understand building and installing world and
kernel, but would I have to reboot to single user and do the mergemaster
stuff too?

I *think* I might not have to do mergemaster coz security updates
shouldn't have changes in the /etc files and so there'd be no need for
merging files. And I *think* I might have to reboot depending on whether I
use the stuff being affected or not ... But I'd like a clarify
from more knowledgeable folks nevertheless. :)

Also, would the "make buildworld installworld" part take a long time? Or
through the magic of "make" it just compiles the stuff that's getting
updated (and stuff that requires on this)?

TIA,

 				- Rakhesh
                                 http://rakhesh.net/