remote [ssh] Backspace] key gives me "^?"

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Sep 15 04:21:56 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 06:01:03PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Sometimes when I ssh from a remote server and edit a file with
> 	vi, my [Backspace keys] are not interpretered correctly.
> 	Instead of erasing characters and backing up one byte and
> 	clearing that character my cursor moves forward.
>
> 	Example: typing "This" as "thos" and backspacing to the 'o'
> 	I'll see "thos^?^?"    Can anybody 'splain what idiot thing i'm
> 	doing wrong and how to fix it?
>
> 	tia,
>
> 	gary

I tend to guess you're using a terminal emulator from within X when
logging in remotely -- probably aterm or another rxvt-based terminal
emulator.  I had similar problems.  I don't recall my exact fix, but it
involved a two-tiered approach:

  1. set a behavior using stty
  2. change a setting in the aterm makefile before installing from ports

My reference to the aterm makefile in part of the solution is because I
suffered this problem when I used aterm as my terminal emulator of
choice.  I have since then switched to rxvt-unicode (also known as urxvt)
as my preferred terminal emulator, however, and no longer have this
problem (as well as no longer having funny broken ASCII spew on my screen
when reading email that contains unicode characters).

Best o' luck.  Let us know if you think this pseudo-solution doesn't
apply to you so we can help you brainstorm other diagnoses of your
problem.

Thomas McCauley: "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out."