/dev/random question

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Sep 15 00:43:59 PDT 2007

/dev/urandom is a hack.  In a perfect world, the /dev/random device
would be able to return a string of random numbers as fast as you
wanted, and there would not have been a need for /dev/urandom

Since FreeBSD tries to be close to perfect ;-) it uses a better
random driver that can produce random numbers as fast as you want
them.  The symlink is there only as a crutch for older UNIX code
that was written when there was a difference between /dev/random
and /dev/urandom

Ted