remote [ssh] Backspace] key gives me "^?"

Pollywog lists-fbsd at shadypond.com
Fri Sep 14 18:18:03 PDT 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007 01:01:03 Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Sometimes when I ssh from a remote server and edit a file with
> 	vi, my [Backspace keys] are not interpretered correctly.
> 	Instead of erasing characters and backing up one byte and
> 	clearing that character my cursor moves forward.
>
> 	Example: typing "This" as "thos" and backspacing to the 'o'
> 	I'll see "thos^?^?"    Can anybody 'splain what idiot thing i'm
> 	doing wrong and how to fix it?
>
> 	tia,
>
> 	gary

Does this also happen when you use vim?
I wonder if you are really using vi and not ee or some other editor.
I had many problems with vi so I did 'touch .vimrc' in my home directory

cd ~
touch .vimrc

I use vim rather than vi and if I remember correctly, when I first installed
FreeBSD, 'vi' was actually a symlink to 'ee'.  I might be wrong about that.