Good FreeBSD Supported Gigabit Ethernet Card?

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri Sep 14 06:55:36 PDT 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Subhro Kar wrote:

> No offence meant, but why would you like to upgrade a "home"
> network to
> Gbit? Is it required at all?

I've been slowly undertaking the same kind of upgrade and so would
like to know whether my reasons are sound.

As of six months ago all of the daily used desktops (three) in my
house are gigabit, but none of the servers are.  For the past year or
so any time I bought a new switch, I've bought a gigabit switch.  The
old 10/100 switches get moved to my DMZ where gigabit really is
pointless for the foreseeable future.  (The firewall between the LAN
and the DMZ doesn't do gigabit and the only big transfers within or
across the DMZ would be backups.  The house is wired with cat6
cable.  (I had that put in when we bought the house two and half
years ago.)

Eventually I would like to have a proper NAS sharing out home
directories.  The desktops are all OS X.  Some members of the
household play with iMovie which involves some very large files.

I don't know when I'll get around to setting up the NAS, but many
decisions I make today keep that goal in mind.  Thus, I am migrating
to gigabit on my home network.  When I do build the NAS, I will
certainly be looking for a good FreeBSD supported gigabit ethernet card.

Do I really need gigabit?  Of course not.  But I don't really need
most of the stuff I do.

-j