Service providers using Quagga

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Fri Sep 14 02:27:40 PDT 2007

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> First off, sorry to cross-post, but *isp@ does not see much traffic.
>
> I'm wondering if there are any network service providers here that run
> any of their routing infrastructure within Quagga running on FreeBSD.
>
> I'd like to know what software alternatives are deployed out in the
> field, and how large a shop utilizes such software methods
> instead/combined with standard hardware router offerings.
>
> If this is a relatively common practice out there, what size environment
> do you run it in, and at what level within your network?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Hi,

We are not strictly an ISP but we are using FreeBSD+Quagga on our VPN
routers.  We currently only use the OSPF protocol in Quagga to manage
redundant fault tollerant VPN links (Currently there are 40 tunnels in
the backbone managed by quagga+ospf) between 6 sites across the globe.
We will be testing the interoperability of quagga shortly when we deploy
Dell layer 3 switches (Running OSPF) as the core switches of our 2
largest sites.

Tom