FreeBSD 4TB Raid Setup

Harry Maugans hmaugans at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:37:16 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have a problem I've been pulling my hair out over the past few days.

I'm building a server that's going to house a very large database.  For it,
I've build a RAID 5 with 4TB of space (3.5TB usable).  It's running on an
HighPoint RocketRAID 1820A 8-channel SATA Controller.

Since this is for a database, it's most likely going to be a few very large
files, so splitting up the partition to multiple mounts isn't an option for
me.

When FreeBSD boots up, dmesg shows the card detected correctly, and all
channels started successfully.  However when it actually loads it into the
device, it shows:
da0: 1241428MB (2542444544 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 158259C)
That equates to about 1.1TB, rather than the 3.5TB the controller bios shows
as usable space.

The motherboard on this server is an Asus P5M2 serverboard, which can easily
handle 4TB, if that's even a concern at all.

Regardless of this note on boot, I've still gone ahead and configured GPT to
see, and when mounted, df -h reports 1.1TB as well.

I've heard of FreeBSD servers handling multiple-terabytes without issue, and
1.1 seems to be an odd number to truncate on.

I'm very devoted to FreeBSD and would very much like to figure out how to
make this work, however as time is important, if I can't resolve this I'll
be forced to look into alternative OS choices.

As of now, I can't find much information online pertaining to my specific
issue, and I'm out of ideas myself.

Thank you for your time (and replies).  :)

--
-Harry Maugans
http://www.desktopnexus.com