CDRW Stopped Working Moving to 6.x

Crist J. Clark cristclark at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 11:36:53 PDT 2007

I just tried to burn a CD for the first time in a long time
on a machine. The burncd(8) command worked fine on this machine
in FreeBSD 5.x (or was it 4.x?), but now in 6.2, I get,

  # burncd -f /dev/acd0 -s 32 data hw.iso fixate
  burncd: ioctl(CDIOCSTART): Input/output error

Looking at the dmesg(1) from the last boot,

  # fgrep cd0 /var/run/dmesg.boot
  acd0: CDROM <CRD-8400B/1.06> at ata1-master UDMA33

Makes me think the system is not recognizing the device as CDRW,
only CDROM. I get this from atacontrol(8),

  # atacontrol info ata1
  Master: acd0 <CRD-8400B/1.06> ATA/ATAPI revision 0
  Slave:       no device present
  # atacontrol cap acd0

  Protocol              ATA/ATAPI revision 0
  device model          CRD-8400B
  serial number         1999/10/12
  firmware revision     1.06
  cylinders             0
  heads                 0
  sectors/track         0
  lba supported
  lba48 not supported
  dma supported
  overlap not supported

  Feature                      Support  Enable    Value           Vendor
  write cache                    no       no
  read ahead                     no       no
  Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no       no      0/0x00
  SMART                          no       no
  microcode download             no       no
  security                       no       no
  power management               no       no
  advanced power management      no       no      0/0x00
  automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/0x00  0/0x00

How can I restore burning capability?
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu