enabling SMP

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 07:44:56 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 09:03:05PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frank Shute wrote:
> >I've just got a new box, an HP DC5750 with an Athlon X2 3800 but I
> >can't get SMP working. It *was* cheap :)
> >
> my family's comment to this is: ' we are too poor to buy cheap.

I was tempted by a Sun box but I got mean!

> >CPUTYPE?=athlon-mp
>
> You run 32 bits on a 64 bit machine? Are you aware of it?

Yep. I don't plan on using more than 4GB of memory on this machine for
some time to come. When I install 7.0, I'll build 64 bit.

> >I've had problems getting ACPCI working, I just get a panic, so I'm
> >booting with it disabled.
> >
> Then you will not get SMP running.

Blast! It seems spritely enough with 1 core though.

> >cpu0 on motherboard
> >
> >Nothing else about CPUs in dmesg.
> >
> This is expected.
>
> Erich

Thanks for the information Erich. I might file a pr for the ACPCI if I
get time.

--

 Frank

 Contact info: http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/misc/contact.html