Problem with logs

Aldisa Admin admin at aldisa.ca
Thu Sep 13 05:18:23 PDT 2007

Hello Derek,

I don't use hosts.allow.  I use the AllowUsers directive in the sshd.conf file to limit the actual username/ip combinations.  As a rule, I also close port 22 on the router.  When I need external access (e.g. when I am travelling) I will open some other port and have sshd "Listen" on that port as well.  At that time, I will add an obscure username to AllowUsers with any ip address.  Of course, I use the custom port to login.

Prior to implementing this setup, I used to get frequent daily login attempts.  Now I don't get any.

Thanks for your feedback.

Abid