fbsd & sendmail as MTA

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Sep 13 04:38:14 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-12 20:46, Jack Stone <antennex at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We're switching our MTA from postfix to sendmail on a purely mail
> relay server and all is running just fine except for one minor
> essential.
>
> Is there any way to have sendmail perform the same service as the
> recipient_bcc.map and sender_bcc.map on postfix? Those using postfix
> know this is used to send bcc of certain emails in order to monitor
> things like users who might want to know what their kids are up to.

Yes.  Sendmail supports a mail filtering mechanism called "milter",
and there are several popular milter tools out there.

One of the milters which can do what you seem to need is:

    http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-bcc/index.shtml

Having said that, Postfix bundles a lot of the functionality of many
milters.  If you are happy with the way Postfix works, why do you have
to switch to Sendmail?

I'm a great fan of Sendmail myself, but if Postfix does what you want to
do, if you are more familiar with Postfix, and it will be much easier
for you to maintain a Postfix installation, it may be a good idea to use
Postfix :-)

- Giorgos