chmod / files and directories

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Sep 10 14:06:15 PDT 2007

At 1:38 PM -0400 9/10/07, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>Daniel Bye wrote:
>>  On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 10:01:35PM +0530, Shantanoo Mahajan wrote:
>  >> # find /usr/local/www/data/wp -type f -exec chmod 644 '{}' \;
>>>  # find /usr/local/www/data/wp -type d -exec chmod 755 '{}' \;
>>>
>>>  To be on safer side. :)
>>
>>  Oh? Safer how? I've never come across that idiom before.
>
>If imange the file or directory name has spaces, (){}-, etc.. in
>it or even \.

This is not necessary with -exec in the 'find' command, and the
single-quotes wouldn't have any effect.  The {} is a parameter
which is seen by the find command itself.  If you add single-quotes
around the {}, those quotes are stripped off by the *shell* before
handing the parameter off to the 'find' command.

Dangerous characters are more of an issue if you do not use the
'-exec' option, and instead you have 'find' print out the filenames
and then use those filenames with some other command.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu