X11 reports BadLength (poly request too large ...

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Sun Sep 9 22:24:48 PDT 2007

Hi,

I mentioned this error before on the X11 list without getting a response.

I found out meanwhile that I get this error message only when I run my
custom kernel. Running either the kernel from the 6.2 RELEASE or the
rebuilt GENERIC kernel did not result in this error message.

I added this to the kernel configuration:

machine		i386
cpu		I486_CPU
cpu		I586_CPU
#cpu		I686_CPU
ident		P2120

plus

device		acpi_fujitsu	# support for the additional buttons
device		acpi_video	# no real information given
device		cpufreq		# support for none ACPI frequency control
device		drm		# enables kernel support for direct rendering
device		radeondrm	# enables support of the ATI Radeon chipset

Erich

PS

The error message:

Script started on Thu Aug 30 14:18:40 2007
You have mail.
/home/erich > thunderbird &
[1] 42052
/home/erich > The program 'thunderbird-bin' received an X Window System
error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
erro'.
   (Details: serial 186251 error_code 16 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)
exit
[1]    Exit 1                        thunderbird
exit

Script done on Thu Aug 30 15:03:39 2007