DVD-RW drive

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 9 16:41:04 PDT 2007

On Sun 09 Sep 2007 16:09, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> I have a very strange problem with my DVD-RW drive. Namely the drive is for some reason recognized as read only
>
> acd0: DVDR <LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1P/GL0C> at ata0-slave UDMA66
>
> I am running FreeBSD 6.2 stable with generic kernel (I didn't compile nor install my own kernel)
> so the following lines are present in my GENERIC
>
> [pedja@ /usr/src/sys/i386/conf]$ more GENERIC
>
> # ATA and ATAPI devices
> device          ata
> device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
> device          ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
> device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
> device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
> device          atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
> # SCSI peripherals
> device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
> device          ch              # SCSI media changers
> device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
> device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
> device          cd              # CD
> device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
> device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)
>

> I also edited my load.conf file with
>
> hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
> hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
>

> I altered the permissions devfs.conf and fstab file so that I can read and write but that is not even important since I can not
> write anything even from the command line
>
> I also get
>
> [pedja@ /usr/home/Pedja]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/acd0
> /dev/acd0: unable to open: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> [pedja@ /usr/home/Pedja]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd0
> /dev/cd0: unable to open: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Whole behavior is even more strange since the optical drive was working flawlessly on PC-BSD 1.3 which is FreeBSD 6.1 stable.
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> Thank you so much
You need to use ATAPICAM if you want to use ATA cd-writers, see the
FreeBSD handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html#ATAPICAM

A small addition to the handbook:
You don't need to reboot your machine, the command:
$ kldload atapicam
Will load the module at runtime.

Use /dev/cd0 instead of /dev/acd0 for all writing purposes.

Maybe PCBSD does this automagiclly? Can't comment on that since I
don't use PCBSD.