ADSL Bandwidth Monitoring

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Sat Sep 8 23:43:26 PDT 2007

Hi Bahman,

Bahman M. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an ADSL connection at home.
>
> When I'm _uploading_ files the whole upload bandwidth is consumed; so
> far so good.
>
> But when _downloading_ no more than 30~40% of download bandwidth is
> consumed.
>
> The guys in the ISP say they've granted me the requested bandwidth but
> this is not what I see in action.
>
> How may I know the real bandwidth limits of my connection?  Any tool or
> trick?  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something about ADSL bandwidth?

First of all, I would demand that the ISP where you are acquiring your
ADSL bandwidth provide you with your bandwidth utilization MRTG or RRD
graphs. It is the responsibility of every ISP to provide their clients
the bandwidth usage graphs no matter how big or small they are!

Other than that, make sure that your uplink is not 100% utilized while
performing download tests. Other factors affecting your downlink could
be your bandwidth might be shared or burstable and not dedicated.

Have you tried performing downlink tests in the wee hours when there
could be almost nobody contenting for bandwidth if your bandwidth is
burstable?

For basic upload and download tests, you can visit the following URL:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

But still, your first priority would be to get the bandwidth utilization
graphs from your ISP.

Thanking you...

> TIA,
>
> Bahman