ADSL Bandwidth Monitoring

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Sat Sep 8 15:52:37 PDT 2007

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>>> Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:

>> I don't understand this.  If the actual DSL circuit is point-to-point -
>> i.e., not shared between the premise and the DSLAM in the CO, just
>> exactly *where* is the contention occuring?
>
> Inside the ISP's router.
>
> However even cheap ISP routers you can buy off Ebay for a couple grand
> have enough bandwidth to route between multiple 100BaseT connections.  For
> example the 7206 has 2 800Mbt backplanes.  That would mean you could
> run 500 1.5Mbt DSL customers at full bore to a server on your local
> network before contention would set in.  And an ISP with that many
> customers can afford a more powerful router than a couple K used 7206.
>
> The upshot is his ISP doesen't know how to troubleshoot DSL.
>
> Ted

That's more-or-less what I figured. When I switched from XO to
Speakeasy, I got nearly twice the speed - i.e., What the circuit
was actually supposed to do in the first place - and both use
the same CO and ISP (Covad).  The only other difference was that
XO had me using a Speedstream and Speakeasy a Brightport bridge.
No matter what XO did, they could never hold up the circuit
at full speed, but Speakeasy has no problem doing this.  In
exchanging bridges, there is some difference, but there's no
question that the provider (and their relationship with the
DISP in the CO) does make a difference.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com