RAID Controller Recommendations: ARC-1210 or 9650SE-4LPML

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Sep 7 18:46:21 PDT 2007

I think if you want speed using 7200 rpm drives that your kidding
yourself.  Keep in mind if you do anything on an internal psuedo
controller that is fancier than plain mirroring, if you lose a disk
your risking ending up with a server that all the kings horses and
all the kings men couldn't put back together again. (without reformatting)

To do it right you need a hardware controller and at least 6 spindles,
plus you need to buy another drive that sits on your shelf in it's
antistatic wrapper - ready to be swapped in on the day your controller
reports a spindle is dead.

Ted