Moving user/group databases

jhall at vandaliamo.net jhall at vandaliamo.net
Fri Sep 7 14:51:46 PDT 2007

> At 03:52 PM 9/7/2007, jhall at vandaliamo.net wrote:
>>All of my FreeBSD servers boot from CD, and we are going to be having
>>several temporary employees coming and going over the next 6-12 months.
>>Is it possible to move the user/group databases from their location in
>>/etc (which is read only on my CDs) to another location?
>>
>>I have read the man page concerning pw and still do not understand what I
>>should be doing.  Any suggestions, or direction to a how-to would be
>>greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>

>>Jay
>
> The simplest way would be to put a symbolic link from /etc to a writable
> location.  You will need to re-make your boot CD to have this change.
>
>          -Derek
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

I have recreated the CD with the sym links, and I still run into a problem
because adduser tries to create temporary files in /etc.  If I remember
correctly, the files it tries to create are /etc/passwd.XXXXXX.

I was able to get pw to work to add the user accounts, but now I am trying
to set the password for new account, and have hit the temp file snag.

Is this something which can be reconfigured in pw.conf?

Thanks,

Jay