no SMP without ACPI? (amd64)

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Thu Sep 6 22:45:19 PDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 3:07 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Sorry to be MIA for the last day.

No, I did not test it with that OS which shall not be named.
However, I did attempt to install Sol10 on it.  Sol10 also relies on
ACPI btw.  Anyway, the same error happened a good way through the
installation -- it rebooted itself during the high IO of installing
the system onto the system array.  Sol10 uses a 32bit kernel for the
installation and I think, but am not sure, that it only activates 1
CPU core.

I do not think, however, that it is a bad CPU.  I can boot the system
with ACPI and activate all 4 CPU cores and I can run CPU intensive
things, so far, as long as they do not generate lots of IO, and
processes run fine on all 4 CPUs and will run for hours.  However, if
I do something that generates IOs, like a build world on the FreeBSD
source, about 75% of the time it does not make it all the way through
with the build.  It takes me about 45min on this system to do a "make
buildworld" and it usually will happen 10-30 minutes into the build.
25% of the time it will make it through 1 build world, and once or
twice has made it through 2, but always fails in the same way on a
subsequent retry of the build. (Ie, I just keep doing builds over and
over until it fails, which is 75% of the time in the first build, 24%
of the time in the second, and 1% of the time in the third, roughly
speaking).

I also do not think it is the memory.  For one, that would show up
even with ACPI disabled, and 2, I ran multiple complete passes of the
standalone memtest86 program without error.

I do not think it is thermally related as the temperature never got
very high and I had additional fans temporarily blowing or I also
stuck it directly over my A/C floor register with the A/C on blowing
cold air directly at the intake of the system.

I monitored the Areca system while it was building and its
temperatures never got anywhere near the limits Areca sets for their
boards.  (The Areca has its own ethernet port and I was directly
attached to that from my powerbook during several tests when it failed).

This machine is now in production with only the 1 CPU core.  I cannot
do extensive testing but I can get pieces of info or do a reboot with
ACPI if there are data items for me to grab if people want to take a
look at what it is doing etc.

Thanks!
Chad

---