Canon A620, FreeBSD and gphoto2

Harry Jensen freebsd at elgert.dk
Thu Sep 6 01:55:43 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:35:49PM -0700, Erin McNew wrote:
> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('I/O problem'): Failed to open
> '/dev/ugen0' (m).
> *** Error (-7: 'I/O problem') ***

I have a Nikon Coolpix 4500, and found following through Google:

------
To have the rights to download files from a digital
camera, add following to the "/etc/devfs.rules":

[usb_devices=10]
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group operator
add path 'da*s*' mode 0660 group operator

..and restart "/etc/rc.d/devfs restart"

..add yourself to the "operator" group.
------
For me it just worked then. Sometimes it will fail during the initial
attempts to download files, but then I just switch off the camera, and
on again, then it works.

It might be better, security wise, to have a group called "camera", instead of
"operator", but have not tried it.

Brgds Harry