ports collection background-fetch

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Wed Sep 5 12:12:50 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 20:09:46 deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
> Bahman M. wrote:
>  > deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
>  >> Is it possible to do automatic fetching of source files in the
>  >> background while other parts are being compiled?
>  >
>  > Just login on multiple consoles or use multiple x terminals (if running
>  > X) and on each one run 'make' for the port you want to compile.  The
>  > port(s) will be fetched and compiled simultaneously.  Then all you need
>  > to do is to run 'make install' for each port.
>  >
>  > Note: I'm not sure but I think it's not a good practice to issue more
>  > than one 'make install' at a time.
>  >
>  > Bahman
>
> Mel wrote:
>  > On Wednesday 05 September 2007 18:46:39 deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
>  >> Is it possible to do automatic fetching of source files in the
>  >> background while other parts are being compiled?
>  >
>  > Not automatically, but if you know which ports need to be done next,
>  > nothing stops you from doing:
>  > cd /usr/ports/category/port && make fetch
>  > on a different terminal.
>
> OK...
>
> Downloading should never interference with compiling (other than faster
> consumption of disk space :) ), so this is an improvement that can/should
> be made. Send the recommendation to the commiters?

I think the logic of "what ports need to be done next" is hard to work into
the basic ports system. You could request the feature from the various ports
in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt - software like portupgrade should be able to build
a list of ports that need updating and start fetching in background.

--
Mel

People using reply to all on lists, must think I need 2 copies.