/usr/ports & portupgrade when only using packages

Adam J Richardson fatman at crackmonkey.us
Wed Sep 5 11:48:27 PDT 2007

Michael C. Cambria wrote:
> I need to set up a system that can only use packages.   I've always used
> ports, so I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing things properly.
>
> Should I (do I need to) use portsnap to populate /usr/ports?  Unless I
> really need something that doesn't have a pkg available, I will not be
> using ports.
>
> I've always used portupgrade, and plan to do so, using -PP (only
> packages) for this setup.  My first question is should I?
>
> Doing'pkg_add -r portupgrade' and it installed fine.
> Using pkgdb -F however, resulted in these messages:
>
> bsd# pkgdb -F
> cd: can't cd to /usr/ports
> cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
> cd: can't cd to /usr/ports
> ---->  Chcecking the package registry database
>
> Any help appreciated.

Hi Mike.

Let me see if I've got this... you want to be able to install packages,
but not ports.

Well, that's easy...

# rm -R /usr/ports

Saves you a load of disk space, too. The only downside is you get
slightly older versions of software with packages.

Oh, and don't use portsnap, it'll undo that "rm -R" for you. Using
"portupgrade -PP" works perfectly well on those rare occasions when I
want to install a package rather than a port.

I guess you could delete all executables matching "port*", but that
might be going too far.

You could get rid of two of those error messages by doing a:

# mkdir /usr/ports

Regards,
Adam J Richardson