Sadly, my tinker-time has run out....

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Sep 4 21:35:19 PDT 2007

Different strokes for different folks.  There's nothing to be
ashamed of for choosing a different OS because it fits your needs
better than FreeBSD.  However there is a lot to be ashamed of if
your announcing this to the FreeBSD mailing list as a veiled
attempt to "spur" the FreeBSD developers to make FreeBSD more
ubuntu-like, or to trigger a flame war between ubuntu and FreeBSD
supporters.

Your post to me kind of seems rather passive-agressive, your
praising and condemming FreeBSD at the same time, in the same
sentences.  I can't figure out if your trying to flame-bait or
not, so I'll assume the best, that your not.

Basically, dude, what you need to do is shit and get off the pot.
Every OS under the sun including Winblows is going to suck up
tinker-time.  If you want a computer (or a happy wife I guess)
then you need to accept that and quit whining that you don't have
enough time.  Here's a thought - unplug your TV set for a month
and I'll bet you get a lot more tinker time.

Anyway, you need to load ubuntu and load windows and load debian,
and load red hat and so on and so on and make your own decision
as to which meets your needs.  None of us here can read minds
and you haven't stated what your needs are - other than you want
more time, which as I explained is a mirage - there isn't going to
be more time freed up by replacing FreeBSD with something else, your
just going to spend the same time with a different set of problems -
so if you honest-to-god need more time, then give up something
in your life that is consuming time that you gain less from
than your computer.  It could be anything from TV to your daily
commute, to smoking, to drinking beer, you name it, whatever.

Ted