pkg_add question

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Sep 4 10:10:05 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 18:32:15 doug at safeport.com wrote:
> Over the weekend in trying to build xorg and kde from packages, none of the
> various options for the package tree seemed to work. Plus the meta port for
> kde was not available.
>
> If one goes to /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/kde  (1)
>                 /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/kde (2)
>
> there does not seems to be a kde meta port in (1). In (2) there is:
>
>     kde-3.5.4.tbz -> ../All/kde-3.5.4.tbz
>
> In general all packages seem to be a symlink to ../All/..

That's how packages are stored. The real package in All/ and symlinks in the
various categories that the package belongs to, plus a symlink in Latest,
indicating the latest version of said package.

There are packages for kde-3.5.7 in 6-stable. Kde-3.5.7 is the present version
in ports.
What exactly did you try and how did it fail?
--
Mel

People using reply to all on lists, must think I need 2 copies.