Philosophy of default "pkg_add -r" PACKAGESITE?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Sep 4 08:01:26 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 16:40:27 Dan Nelson wrote:

> Also, packages from the -stable directory may have
> different/conflicting dependencies compared to existing packages on
> your system.  Imagine installing 6.2 before the x.org-7 update, then
> trying to "pkg_add -r" a package from the -stable directory that
> depends on an xorg-7 feature.  pkg_add just isn't smart enough to
> realize that you really need to upgrade all of X, and will probably
> fail the install at some point.

The same applies to a 6.2-STABLE before x.org-7 update, no difference there.

It's not about port dependencies, it's about base-system dependencies. It
doesn't happen often that within a minor release update a library gets a
version bump, but binary incompatibilities may still occur.

For -RELEASE you are expected to upgrade from source. Typical behavior being
that ports only get upgraded when portaudit reports them unsafe.

--
Mel

People using reply to all on lists, must think I need 2 copies.