run CVSup ahead of time>?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Sep 1 07:46:30 PDT 2007

--On September 1, 2007 7:28:05 AM -0400 Grant Peel <gpeel at thenetnow.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am about 200 miles from the servers.
>
> Can I run cvsup now (12 hours ahead of time) safely on production
> servers, then do the rest when I get there?
>
> Noone else uses the ports system but me, or installs anything...i.e. I
> am the only one who can log into the shell.

Of course you can.

I have the same situation.  I run cvsup through periodic/daily, but I only
update ports if portaudit reports a security problem.  All cvsup does is
replace source files.  It does not install anything, so nothing changes on
your system until you run portupgrade or recompile your kernel and system
files.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas