Virtualization

John Murphy freebsd001 at freeode.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 19:30:02 PDT 2007

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:57:20 +0100
Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> > I was curious with the information coming out regarding FreeBSD 7 what
> > option are available for virtualizing other OS's using FreeBSD as a host.
>
> Extremely limited.
>
> > I've been running several servers (Windows of various versions and a
> > Linux system) as virtual machines under VMWare Server for Linux for
> > about a year now.  I remember there were some problems with trying to
> > get FreeBSD to run VMWare previously?
>
> It's possible some early VMWare products (Like VMWare Workstation 3)
> work on FreeBSD 7, but a) you can't buy that products any more and b)
> you probably wouldn't want to use them even if you did.
>
> The only approximately useful option is Qemu, but it's slow and may not
> work on AMD64.
>
> There's a donation box on
> http://www.rsync.net/resources/notices/2007cb.html for developers to get
> VMWare Workstation working on FreeBSD but the status of the project is
> unknown. There's also some indication someone is working on VirtualBox
> but that's probably in very early stages (and besides that, VirtualBox
> doesn't work reliably).

The status seems to be "Status: CLAIMED by Orlando Bassotto - currently
in progress." which looks good because he did a lot of work on porting
VMware 3.x I think.

I found a clue to a cure, but qemu was dropping cores when I tried it
recently. Tried bochs too; I quite like it.

I also installed qemu-launcher, but haven't tried it partly because
it seems to be missing qemuctl and I can't even even extract files
from the Linux tar.gz <blush>.

--
Thanks, John.