[freebsd-questions] Dangers of using a non-base shell

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Tue Oct 30 14:05:46 PDT 2007

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> You could possibly also put "bash -l && exit" in your .shrc, which would
> exit if bash exited successfully. I haven't tested it, but it should
> work.

or 'exec bash -l' which will replace the existing shell with bash in
memory, rather than run it from it as a subprocess. I was going to
verify that that's the technical explanation, but 'man exec' gets you
the utterly useless builtin(1) manpage.

The effect is that you only have to type exit once, anyway.

Howie