LaTeX oder teTeX

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 30 09:50:23 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:46:20AM +0100, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> > I've installed TeXLive 2007 to use /usr/local/texlive/2007 as its prefix
> > and data directory, and that works fine. Everything is contained
> > within that tree. It does not put things in /etc or /usr/local/etc if
> > you do this. What you do need to do after building the binaries is add
> > /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/<arch>-unknown-freebsd<version> to the path
> > in /etc/login.conf.
>
> I am considering giving a try to TeXlive these days. I take the
> opportunity of this thread to ask you about your strategy to make the
> TeXlive system cohabit with ports that wants teTeX.

For the moment I just remove the teTeX dependencies from those ports
before I build them.

I've thought about whipping up a fake teTeX port, but I was not sure if
I could pull that off.

> The second question is about ports that install TeX related stuff
> (such as macro packages, like NOWEB do). I guess you edited texmf.cnf
> to let /usr/local/share/texmf-local appear in TEXMF trees. Am I right,
> and was this enough to let things run well?

TeXLive is so complete that I didn't really have to install any stuff
from ports. I have a $HOME/texmf tree where I can stick the odd style
file. The standard texmf.cnf uses $HOME/texmf be default.

> To consider more FreeBSD specific issues, I have read elsethread that
> some people are working on porting TeXlive to FreeBSD. When this
> (awesome) work will be done, FreeBSD users will have two options to
> install a TeX system from the ports: teTeX and TeXlive. These two
> systems provide similar service. In such a situation, how are managed
> the dependencies? How would a porter say ``This port run-depends on a
> TeX system, no matter which one it is''?

No idea. Maybe there will be a generic TeX dependency that can be
fullfilled by either TeXLive or teTeX. But in the long run I expect
that TeXLive will replace teTeX.

Roland