Recommended servers for FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Oct 29 09:31:31 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 12:03:47AM +0000, Andrew Wasilczuk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to see what servers people use for FreeBSD.  I used to
> buy the IBM xSeries x306 for firewalls and web servers and the x206 for
> low budget file servers, but both aren't being sold anymore.  I recently
> got a few IBM x3200 and x3550.  They are really nicely built and I
> hardly have any problems.  However, the on-board RAID controllers
> (Adaptec AIC-9580W) aren't supported under FreeBSD so I fit them with
> 3ware 9000 series RAID cards.  Although I really like those 3ware cards,
> it seems like an extra expense that could be avoided.
>
> What servers do you guys buy and why?  I would really like to have the
> on-board RAID supported. Do HP servers play well with FreeBSD?  If yes,
> which models would you recommend?

Besides the ubiquitious Dells and HPs, the ones I am have seen that seem
to be FreeBSD aware are:   (Not that Dell and HP are FreeBSD aware)

FreedomTechnologies which used to call itself FreeBSD Systems at:
   http://www.freedomtc.com/

iX Systems at:
   http://www.ixsystems.com/

Iron Systems at:
   http://www.ironsystems.com/

I haven't heard anything bad about any of them.

////jerry