Problem with VNC on AMD64

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 18:56:13 PDT 2007

> So VNC server will run, and I can connect to it from a VNC-client, but
> the window manager fails to start correctly.

I am having the same problem. My vnc log looks similar:

*snip*
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  102 (X_ChangeKeyboardControl)
  Value in failed request:  0x3c
  Serial number of failed request:  7
/usr/local/bin/wmaker fatal error: it seems that there is already a
window manager running

Of course, there's no window manager running (I get the default X gray
screen with a generic X cursor).

If I try to run wmaker against the VNC display, I get the same message:

% wmaker -display localhost:1
wmaker fatal error: it seems that there is already a window manager running

Like you, I've tried other window managers, but I have the same
problem. I'll wait to see if anyone has any ideas, otherwise I'm going
to go ahead and submit a PR for this.

Josh