Atheros wireless

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Oct 27 11:35:45 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 08:51:20PM +0300, Necati Demir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a 6 year linux user, i am new to freebsd. :)
> In my laptop i have a atheros wireless card. To use it, i compiled modules;
>
> # cd /sys/modules/ath
> # make; make load
>
> # cd /sys/modules/ath_hal
> # make; make load
>
> # cd /sys/modules/ath_rate_sample
> # make; make load
>
> # cd /sys/modules/wlan
> # make; make load
>
> # cd /sys/modules/wlan_acl
> # make; make load
>
> # cd /sys/modules/wlan_wep
> # make; make load
>
> # cd /sys/modules/wlan_xauth
> # make; make load
>
> Then i added following lines to the /boot/loader.conf
> if_ath_load="YES"
> ath_hal_load="YES"
> ath_rate_load="YES"
> wlan_load="YES"
> wlan_acl_load="YES"
> wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
> wlan_tkip_load="YES"
> wlan_wep_load="YES"
> wlan_xauth_load="YES"
>

> And i restarted my machine to be sure.
>
> When i use kldstat command to see modules, i see this output;
>
> # kldstat
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1    9 0xc0400000 70794c   kernel
>  2    1 0xc0b08000 2cf4     wlan_acl.ko
>  3    1 0xc0b0b000 1b88     wlan_xauth.ko
>  4    1 0xc2d1f000 16000    linux.ko
>
> Where is my if_ath module and the other ath modules? Where is the problem?
> And of course, still my wireless does not work.

The default kernel (GENERIC) already contains all the other modules. Kldstat
only lists those modules that have been loaded separately.  If you run
'kldstat -v' then all the modules, both those in the kernel, and those
loaded as modules, should be listed.

There was also no need for you to compile any modules since all of them should
already be installed by default anyway.  (Yes, even those which are included
directly in the kernel.)

As to why it does not work you have not given enough information.  What is
the output of 'ifconfig', 'pciconf -lv', and 'dmesg' ?

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se