can't upgrade - catch-22

Keith Seyffarth weif at weif.net
Sat Oct 27 10:26:59 PDT 2007

> Make sure your ports tree is 100% up to date.

Got it, I think. Ran cvsup again, got a bunch of stuff...

> Uninstall portupgrade & all it's dependencies.

Have done, as far as I can tell.

> cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade && make install clean

Generates the same error mentioned previously - can't set default
X11BASE. Setting X11BASE in make.conf does not make a difference.

> Read and follow the instructions in UPDATING for updating xorg

Again, requires portupgrade, and it appears that just about anything
(including portupgrade) requires that X already be upgraded...

Keith