OEM and Trademark license for Java on FreeBSD -- Freebsd_Sun_Info@sun.com no longer valid?

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:58:51 PDT 2007

> I too would love to know the answer to this -- the way Sun carry on,
> anyone would think they don't want people using their language... I am
> sure Microsoft don't make you jump through hoops if you want to write
> and distribute applications written in .NET and want to distribute the
> run-time along with it -- so why must Sun make it so hard for people
> to do that with Java?
At times if I didn't know better I would swear that sun was doing it's
best to destroy it's own language (long term tax write off?)... even
though I love Java and started a small software company to make
developer tools for it some of the things Sun drive me *(&*&(*&( nuts...
Here is the short list:

1. Complete refusal to allow for non-JVM compilation targets

2. Deprecating classes and methods for no apparent reason or explanation

3. Not making the complete implementation "open" (perhaps look but don't
touch or give out) source

4. Making some really stupid security and/or low level OS access
assumptions (see the series of threads recursively started by
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_thread/thread/8e85eedca489d240/3ef23e684fe42fb0#3ef23e684fe42fb0)

5. Completely dropping the ball marketing wise

--
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems