hidden disk geometry on Compaq Presario V2000

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Oct 25 07:53:04 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 12:19:27AM -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

> Lorin Lund <gmail.com!lorin.lund at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a Compaq Presario Notebook in the V2000 series.
> > I just replaced the hard drive because the original was getting
> > disk errors.
> >
> > I have a WD Scorpio 120 GB.  When I try to load FreeBSD I get an
> > error message when I get to the partition the disk stage.  It
> > says my disk geometry is wrong.  It says I need to use whatever
> > numbers my BIOS uses.  But my BIOS doesn't show the disk geometry
> > numbers anywhere I can see.  How can I proceed?  How can I find
> > out what disk geometry to use?

Is this just the usual whining it almost always does in fdisk?
If so, try just ignoring it.   I always get it putting out an
error message that the settings will not work with the geometry
but it always does.

If it is something else, then this comment doesn't apply - but
try just going ahead.

////jerry