Live video streaming on FreeBSD?

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Wed Oct 24 23:51:28 PDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2007 08:42:31 schrieb Andreas Widerøe Andersen:
> Does any of these streaming solutions (encoders or servers) require me to
> run a GUI on my FreeBSD boxes or can I simply run them like I always do:
> command line only?

Apple's Darwin runs perfectly just with command-line (and has a Web-GUI, but
that's not necessary for standard operation and configuration), but isn't
compilable on AMD64 (because the programmers didn't think highly of
portability when implementing it, i.e. assuming that a unsigned long is
always 32-bit, and such), and I haven't tested whether it compiles on FreeBSD
at all (all of our deployment boxes of Darwin are Linux-systems). Other than
that, it's a pretty stable and mature streaming solution if you're willing to
stream MP4 over RTSP (which on Windows requires QuickTime; MediaPlayer can't
handle this out of the box).

If you need a precompiled binary Linux-package for i386 (which should run
without much hassle concerning required dependencies), send me a mail.

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development