hidden disk geometry on Compaq Presario V2000

Lorin Lund lorin.lund at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:32:00 PDT 2007

I have a Compaq Presario Notebook in the V2000 series.
I just replaced the hard drive because the original was getting
disk errors.

I have a WD Scorpio 120 GB.  When I try to load FreeBSD I get
an error message when I get to the partition the disk stage.  It says
my disk geometry is wrong.  It says I need to use whatever numbers
my BIOS uses.  But my BIOS doesn't show the disk geometry numbers
anywhere I can see.  How can I proceed?  How can I find out what
disk geometry to use?