easiest way to install CPAN on FreeBSD

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Oct 24 14:10:20 PDT 2007

On October 24, 2007 at 02:11PM Sean Murphy wrote:

> I don't install CPAN on FreeBSD.  I use the ports and packages from
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports
> Do a search for the module that you require P5- means it is a perl
> module also you can use the ports collection for PHP modules as well.
> This will automatically install any other dependent modules.

Unfortunately, not all CPAN modules are available in the ports collection.
That leaves just two readily available avenues open.

1) Become a maintainer and port the module to FreeBSD. This is a rather time
consuming process that while it has its advantages, it is certainly not
advantageous for a user who needs the module installed now.

2) Use CPANPLUS to install the module.

Unless the user has the time, knowledge and motivation to do the first, the
second approach is usually superior.

Just my 2¢.

--
Gerard