Via C7 Processor (CPU) - cpufreq and make.conf support

Ross Penner ross.penner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:02:28 PDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 02:25:11PM -0600, Ross Penner wrote:
> > > What does 'sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels' report? It should list the
> > > available CPU frequencies.
> > >
> > I get:
> > dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 397/-1 198/-1
> >
> > Is this something I should be reporting to stable? It's not explicitly
> > mentioned in the hardware notes so I'm not sure if my processor is
> > actually supported in 6.2. Is it possible that I've been shipped the
> > wrong processor? If so, how would I be able to tell short of ripping
> > off the giant heatsink and looking?
>
> Have a look at the dmesg output with 'dmesg |head -n 24'. There should
> be some info about the CPU in there. Post those lines here.

Lines from dmesg:

 Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: VIA C7 Esther+RNG+AES+AES-CTR+SHA1+SHA256+RSA (399.40-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x6a9  Stepping = 9
  Features=0xa7c9bbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,PAT,CLFLUSH,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x181<SSE3,EST,TM2>

It clearly indicates that it's a 400MHz processor, but the timecounter
makes me think it' the 1.2 GHz it's supposed to be.

> And have a look at the bios. It could have some settings to regulate the
> CPU speed.

The BIOS didn't seem to have anything to adjust the CPU speed, but
while booting I did notice that it declared itself as a via C7 400MHz
processor.