how can i install gnome2 through console

James A. Harrison jamesh at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 24 07:47:33 PDT 2007

> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 23:06 +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 12:30 +0200, Ananias Uushona wrote:
>> > I was installing gnome2 through x interface but I realize that its
>> very hard
>> > especially to beginners but I got it right is that I did n't have the
>> > hardware names and specifications right now I want to do it
>> automatically so
>> > it can detect the automatically so where do I begin to install it
>> through
>> > console should I remove xorg packages or what first
>>
>> Please use pkg_add/pkg_delete instead of ports. It's very easy. That's
>> all the way I install/remove gnome2. Of course it works through console.
>
> Ananias,
>
> For install, at the command prompt type this command as root:
>
> pkg_add -v -r gnome2-lite

However! There is a caveat here.

I'd say, sure, use pkg_add at first, because it's simple. However, bear in
mind that ports exist. And also bear in mind that you cannot mix packages
and ports, unless you want an inconsistent system.

Ports are well worth learning. I remember when I started using them, they
were confusing. But after I got used to them, I never, ever used/use
anything other than ports. They start making sense after a while ;)

James