Is it difficult to move from Linux?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Oct 23 12:36:50 PDT 2007

Donovan R. Palmer wrote:

> I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of reasons
> become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there any ex or
> current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it is to make the
> shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular which has been written
> which would be useful to read?

I first tried to FreeBSD 4.3 coming from RedHat Linux. My main problem
was configuring X but there were other things too, so I fell back on
Linux. Then I made the switch when RH got to 8.0 which was full of bugs
and it somehow just came very easy. I don't know what I did, I guess I
just got it right. I had no problem with X. Since then, I just wonder
what took me so long to make the switch.

Another typical "problem" is that Linux users are used to bash. And the
default shell in FreeBSD is csh. I made that switch too, actually I
quite like it now.

There is plenty of documentation, I often found myself browsing
documentation for FreeBSD while using Linux because it was just better
written. Check the handbook for a start.

Cheers, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard
Ph: +34.666334818                           http://www.locolomo.org