oflag option in GNU dd - equivalent in FreeBSD dd ?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Oct 23 08:18:44 PDT 2007

Bahman M. <b.movaqar at adempiere.org> wrote:
 > On 2007-10-22 Juri Mianovich wrote:
 > > I am used to using this command in Linux, using GNU
 > > dd:
 > >
 > > dd if=/blah of=/bleh oflag=append conv=notrunc
 > >
 > > The problem is, FreeBSD 'dd' does not understand the
 > > "oflag" argument.
 > >
 > > Is there some equivalent in the FreeBSD 'dd' syntax
 > > that I can use, or am I forced to install GNU utils ?

Of course, the easiest way is to do this:

$ dd if=/blah >> /bleh

If you cannot do that, please explain why.  If you know
your reason, there might be an alternative way to do it.

 > dd if=/blah of=/bleh conv=notrunc seek=`ls -s /bleh | cut -f1 -d ' ' -`
 >
 > I don't know if any simpler way is possible (anyone?).

$ dd if=/blah of=/bleh conv=notrunc seek=$(stat -f%z /bleh)

I suggest to write a small alias or shell function if
you need to use such commands often.  The following
shell function (for sh, zsh or bash) will do:

ddappend()
{
	dd if="$1" of="$2" conv=notrunc seek=$(stat -f%z -- "$2")
}

Then you can simply write:  $ ddappend /blah /bleh

Best regards
   Oliver

Passwords are like underwear.  You don't share them,
you don't hang them on your monitor or under your keyboard,
you don't email them, or put them on a web site,
and you must change them very often.